Sunday, August 26, 2012

Arrival of our baby girl


Aubree Paige
8/23. 9lbs. 4oz. 22 in. long

We schedualled to induce Aubree on Thursday the 23rd. She was holding out not wanting to come. We had already tried to go walking and it would really only get the contractions going for a few plus hours and then die off again. She needed an eviction nudge with pitocin :-D

We checked in at 5am. It might have been 6 or 6:30 before they got the pitocin hooked up to me. At about 7:30 the Dr. broke my water. That sure felt like I just peed on the table. At this point they could tell the amiotic fluid was darker then normal so she had merconiom (poop) in there. Also somewhere in here they put me on oxygen to help keep baby's heart rate up during the contractions. I went a good number of hours before the pain was becoming unbearable. I kept trying to ask them if they might have an idea as to how long I might have so I would know if I should get the epidural. Ryan was trying to help me to go without it just because of the risk. I bore through a little bit more as I was having them check my dialation to see if things were changing. There were two times in a row that I was a 7 so then I kind of made up my mind to get it.

I dialated to an 8 but she wasn't dropping so they were giving me a heads up that she might be a bigger baby, it may take a while longer and a slight chance that we may need to do a c-section. At that point I said bring on the epidural. It was 1:15 when they administered it to me. It felt like 5 or so strong contractions after that and then I think they started to feel better.

At 2:20 I was an 10 so it was time to start pushing. I pushed on most contractions for about 2ish hours but her head wasn't coming past my pelvic bone. At this time they confirmed that in fact she was a bigger baby with a bigger head. Thankfully her heart rate was steady and strong or that would have surely sent me to the operating room. The Dr. said we have one last chance to try to avoid c-section and that was forcepts. He would us the forcepts to bring her head towards my back while I did the pushing to get her out. I had two contractions, so 8 pushes, to give it my last shot using the forcepts. SO glad I already had the epidural. Before I started pushing with the forcepts the Dr. finished preparing the delivery table. And called in the baby nurses along with two women from NICU, just in case because of the merconium in the amiotic fluid. This gave me some hope that she might be coming.

I pushed with all my might, and down she came. I was able to feel her head before she came out fully. Then I knew she was going to have more hair then I did. I was very relieved that I chose to get the epidural (because of the length of time and her being bigger caused me to tear) and that I didn't have to get a c-section.

Next time I SO am getting induced sooner if things are looking the same as they did with her.

The other picture is her I n the swing so mom could get some rest.

1 comment: